Last week, I talked about having the conversation with people about mental health. Today, I want to talk about 5 things that I do to help with my mental health/wellness.
These things might help you, or you might need to find things that work for you. Mental health is an individual effort – what works for me might not work for you and what works for you might not work for me.
So, explore what will help you and share what you have found works so that we can all grow in our mental wellness.
The 5 things that I do for mental health/wellness are:
- Practice Yoga. Yoga is something that I have found makes me feel good about myself – no matter what size I am. Yoga helps me realize my strength and allows me to focus on myself in a way that other exercise doesn’t. I need to work to remember this because I am not the best practitioner.
- Rest/Sleep. I have always been someone that needs a lot of sleep. When I was in college, I didn’t pull all nighters constantly like some people. I need a good amount of sleep to function and not act rude. So I do my best to make sure that I get sleep.
- Write. Writing is a big release for me. I have a hard time talking to people, so journaling is something that helps me get my thoughts out on paper and out of my mind. It helps me to work through things. Writing fiction helps me live things that I might not otherwise live and explore things I might otherwise feel silly or unjustified exploring on my own.
- Reading/Watching TV/Watching Movies. Much like writing is a release, these activities are also a release for me. I use them as a way to escape reality, connect with other people, and dream. It is good to have a release that allows you to escape when you need to.
- Exercising. I put this in a separate category from yoga because I really need both. I need to do some cardio – biking, hiking, walking – to help myself stay mentally well. Without both, I suffer.
Do you do any of these things for mental wellness? If so, which ones? If not, what do you do to make sure that you are staying mentally well?